Preventing extubation COVID-19 Patient

Hi,

How are you preventing patients from self-extubating? Is anyone routinely using wrist restraints as a preventative method?

Thanks,
Gina

Muscle relaxation as well as wrist restraints… if your facility is not using a HEPA filter at the end of the ETT… you run the risk of Covid becoming aerosolized

We are sedating patients deeper than we used it. And using intermittent muscle relaxants as bridges for them to work. And in those with HIGH sedation requirements yes for restraints.

In our institution we routinely use soft wrist restraints to prevent self extubation in addition to sedation requires to reach goal RASS score as discussed during daily round. In my experience it works fine but last week I had a confirmed COVID 19 patient(on vent 100%FIO2 and 14 PEEP) on soft wrist restrains, deep sedation and paralytic, despite of that he self extubated, luckily I was in the room and quickly reposition ET tube and patient did fine.

Thank you to our supporters

Thank you to those that provided an unrestricted educational grant
Pfizer
The Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) is the largest non-profit medical organization dedicated to promoting excellence and consistency in the practice of critical care. With members in more than 100 countries, SCCM is the only organization that represents all professional components of the critical care team. The Society offers a variety of activities that ensures excellence in patient care, education, research and advocacy. Read more
Headquarters
500 Midway Drive, Mount Prospect, IL 60056 USA

Phone: +1 847 827-6888
Fax: +1 847-439-7226
Email: support@sccm.org
© Society of Critical Care Medicine. All rights reserved.
The Society of Critical Care Medicine, SCCM and Critical Care Congress are registered trademarks of the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Like SCCM on Facebook  @SCCM on Twitter  SCCM on LinkedIn  Subscribe to the SCCM YouTube Channel  Donate to SCCM