Early Tracheostomy or Ever Tracheostomy

Has anyone had the experience of doing a tracheostomy? In some of our early cases we are approaching 3 weeks of intubation time. Initially I thought early tracheostomy was among the guidelines.
What does your institution require? Is a repeat negative test needed? Bedside vs OR? Just looking for insight.

1 Like

We’ve been discussing this as well… no clear guidance that I am aware of but am wondering if we need to consider things like running low on sedation and thus trach’ing early(er)…?

1 Like

Recommendations from the UK ENT and American Academy of Otolaryngology

2 Likes

We are placing our first trach in a COVID 19 patient today. Vent day #18 and STILL COVID positive, but making progress as far as weaning (FIO2 down to 45%, peep down to 12). Issues that I had not thought of now coming up: Trach causing more aerosolization/popping off the ventilator; when the patient is ready for trach mask trial what then? Again an open airway and more aerosolization. When will an LTAC/SNF be willing to accept the patient? Obviously when COVID negative, but how long might that be? And even when COVID turns negative will an institution be willing to accept because of the basically open airway?
Should we not be offering tracheostomy to these patients at all, but guiding family into comfort care if we can’t get them extubated? Which feels wrong if the patient is making progress.
Sorry, I have no answers, no guidance.
I will continue this thread with what happens to this patient.

1 Like

At our institution we have a policy against performing trachs in positive patients in the OR, but with PAPR and a negative pressure icu room we are planning our first one Monday. She’s been on the vent for 29 days but continues to not seroconvert and has tested positive three times. (Our institution actually just received its second shipment of PAPRs this week).

Thank you to our supporters

Thank you to those that provided an unrestricted educational grant
Pfizer | Novartis | Mallinckrodt
The Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) is the largest non-profit medical organization dedicated to promoting excellence and consistency in the practice of critical care. With members in more than 100 countries, SCCM is the only organization that represents all professional components of the critical care team. The Society offers a variety of activities that ensures excellence in patient care, education, research and advocacy. Read more
Headquarters
500 Midway Drive, Mount Prospect, IL 60056 USA

Phone: +1 847 827-6888
Fax: +1 847-439-7226
Email: support@sccm.org
© Society of Critical Care Medicine. All rights reserved.
The Society of Critical Care Medicine, SCCM and Critical Care Congress are registered trademarks of the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Like SCCM on Facebook  @SCCM on Twitter  SCCM on LinkedIn  Subscribe to the SCCM YouTube Channel  Donate to SCCM