What Information We Collect
When you browse the Site and do not interact with the Site for any online service or product from SCCM, you browse anonymously. Information that identifies you personally, such as name, address, phone number, and email address, is not collected as you browse.
When you create an account to become a registered user on the Site, or choose to interact with us in other ways, such as purchasing an SCCM product, participating in online surveys, submitting questions or comments, or requesting information or materials, we collect certain personal information from you.
Information You Provide
The type of personal information that is collected from you may include:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number
- Educational and professional background
- Usernames and passwords
- Payment information, such as credit or debit card numbers
- Comments, feedback, posts, and other content you submit
- Interest and communications preferences
In order to access certain content, you may be asked to register for an account. By completing and submitting a registration form, additional information may be collected that is not included in this Policy.
Information Received From Other Sources
We may receive information about you from publicly available and third-party databases or services that provide information about individuals, organizations and companies, or from third parties from whom we have purchased information (including an individual's name, job title, contact information, and information about the organizations at which the individual works) and combine this data with information we already have about you. This helps us to update, expand, and analyze our records; identify new customers; and provide information, products and services that may be of interest to you. We will obtain your consent before contacting you if required by the law of the country in which you are located.
Information Automatically Collected
- Internet Protocol ("IP") address that connects your computer to the internet
- Computer, device, and connection information, such as browser type and version, operating system, mobile platform, unique device identifier ("UDID"), and other technical identifiers
- Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") click stream data, including data and time stamp, referring and exit URLs, search terms you used, and pages you visited or searched for on the Site
- For location-aware services, the physical location of your device in order to provide you with content relevant to your geographic location.
You can control cookies through your browser's settings and other tools. However, if you block certain cookies, you may not be able to register, log in, access certain areas of the Site, or make full use of the Site.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use your information to:
- Register you for programs and services you have requested
- Process, fulfill, and/or follow up on your orders or renewal membership application
- Deliver SCCM services such as newsletters, meetings, events, and courses
- Notify you about new content, products, services, special offers, upgrades, and other related information from the Society
- Provide the Site to you, including allowing access to or delivery of our products or services, processing or fulfilling orders or transactions, or administering surveys or promotional programs
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments, or concerns
- Provide technical, product, and other support and help keep the Site working, safe, and secure
- Offer you customized content and individualized personalization of the Site to make it more relevant to your interests and needs
- Enhance, evaluate, and improve the Site, its advertisements, and promotional campaigns, and our products and services, and to develop new products and services
- Identify and analyze usage trends, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting, and paying royalties and license fees to third-party content providers
- For European Union (EU) Data Subjects, such use is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us
How to Opt Out of Email
To opt out of future emails and newsletters, click on the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email or eNewsletter from the Society. You may also unselect the checkbox under your profile in MySCCM or call the Society at +1 847 827-6869.
Disclosure of Information
We may use and disclose information that does not reveal your identity or permit direct association with any specific individual, such as browser and device information, anonymous usage data, and aggregated information, for any purpose, except when we are restricted by law. If we combine nonpersonal information with personal information, the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long it remains combined.
We may also need to disclose your personal information to: (i) third parties, if you request or authorize it (when required by law, we will inform you in advance of the third parties to which we may provide your data and the purpose for doing so, and we will obtain your prior consent for such use); (ii) respond to or comply with any law, regulation, subpoena, court order, or other legal obligation; (iii) enforce and protect our rights and properties; (iv) detect, investigate, and help prevent security threats, fraud, or other malicious activity; and (v) protect the rights, property, or safety of our users, employees, or others.
We share your personal information with third parties who provide certain services to assist us in meeting business operation needs. These parties are authorized to process your personal information, on our behalf and pursuant to our instructions, only as necessary to provide these services to us. We share your personal information with the following service providers:
- Providers of payment processing and accounting, as necessary to process payment from our clients
- Learning management systems that integrate with our platform
- Customer service providers
- Providers helping us fulfill subscription services
- Providers of research and analytics services
- Providers of cloud computing infrastructure services
The Site may let you post and share personal information, comments, materials, and other content. Any information you disclose publicly may be collected and used by others, may be indexable by search engines, and might not be removable. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
Tracking Activity on the Site
SCCM tracks how the Site is used both anonymously and by registered users who interact with the Site. One way we track is by using cookies. A cookie is a small file or string of text on your computer that is used to aid web navigation.
Two types of cookies are commonly used. A session cookie is created by a website when that website is accessed; this type of cookie is automatically deleted by closing the web browser. A persistent cookie is one that is stored on the hard drive of the user's computer for a period of time chosen by the website that set the cookie, usually for a number of years, unless the user deletes it manually.
SCCM may use a tracking technique that employs embedded URLs to allow use of the Site without cookies. Embedded URLs allow limited information to follow you as you navigate the Site, but they are not associated with Personal Data and are not used beyond the session.
SCCM providers may use embedded pixel technologies (or pixel tags) for the purposes of identifying unique user visits (as opposed to aggregate hits) and for advertising purposes. In addition, embedded pixels or other technologies may be used in emails and our online display advertising to provide information on when the email or ad was opened to track marketing campaign responsiveness. Information collected with these technologies may be associated with the recipient's email address.
We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the Apps, the events that occur within the Apps, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the Apps were downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any Personal Data you submit within the Apps.
Third-Party Tracking on the Site
Third-party cookies and other technologies may also be used on the Site through advertisements from third parties. SCCM is not responsible for the use of information gathered by these third parties.
Third-Party SCCM Social Media Platforms
The Society has established platforms on third party-hosted social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and others. Users of these platforms are cautioned that they are hosted by third parties and governed by the privacy, terms, conditions, and other policies of the third-party host.
We also use your contact information to contact you via the postal service, email or telelphone regarding information that we think may be of interest to you. If you do not wish to receive marketing materials, brochures, or emails from SCCM, you may inform us of your preference by contacting us as described under the "Contact" section below. You may also submit a contact form electronically through the Site and unsubscribe from our marketing communications by clicking on the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of our emails.
Where required by applicable law (for example, if you are an EU Data Subject), we will send you marketing information only with your consent, which you gave at the time you provided us with the Personal Data. In such cases, if you do not consent to the processing of your Personal Data for this purpose, we will not send you this information (please refer to the "EU Data Subjects" section below for information on your rights).
SCCM Membership Mailing List
The SCCM membership mailing list is shared periodically with other organizations that wish to mail printed information to you regarding various educational courses, publications, and other offerings that are presumed to be of interest to critical care practitioners. The Society makes every effort to ensure that such mailings are appropriate and in good taste. If you do not wish to receive such mailings, please communicate your wishes to SCCM by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please provide your exact name and address in your communication.
If you correspond with SCCM via email, the postal service, web forms, or other forms of communication, we may retain the correspondence and the information it contains. We may use the information for business purposes, including responding to your inquiry, notifying you of SCCM-related opportunities, and other marketing purposes. (Please read the "Marketing" section above for more information on our marketing practices and how to opt out or unsubscribe.)
SCCM collects information about users' IP addresses, including users' utilization of the Site, to help us design the Site to better suit users' needs. We may use information about your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, administer the Site, analyze trends, track visitor movements, and gather information that assists us in identifying visitor preferences. We also may use your IP address to enhance our security and investigate an actual or potential security incident. For EU Data Subjects, this use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests in understanding how you use the Site and our Services, to improve your experience on the Site, and to ensure network and information security. For more information about what we mean by legitimate interests and when we may process Personal Data for our legitimate interests, please see the "EU Data Subjects" section below.
Children Under Age 13
The Society does not knowingly, intentionally, or purposely solicit data online from, or market online to, children under age thirteen (13).
Access to and Accuracy of Your Information
The Site will allow registered users to access their account information and make corrections or updates upon login at any time. The accuracy of such information is solely the responsibility of the user. You may also request access to other personal information about you that may be held on the Site. If you request to deactivate your account or delete your personal information, we will endeavor to fulfill your request; however, some personal information may persist in backup copies for a certain period of time and may be retained as necessary for legitimate business purposes or to comply with our legal obligations.
The Society takes precautions to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction through the use of appropriate administrative, physical, and technical security measures.
Site Security Features
Secure Socket Layer Technology for SCCM Store
SCCM requires a "secure session" using Secure Socket Layer ("SSL") technology for any purchases made through the SCCM store. SSL technology creates a private conversation that only your computer and the SCCM systems can understand. The SSL technology encodes information as it is being sent over the internet between your computer and SCCM systems, helping to ensure that the transmitted information remains confidential.
Username and Password
Many areas of the Site require a username and password as an additional security measure that helps protect your personal information. This allows SCCM to verify who you are, thereby allowing you access to your account information and preventing unauthorized access. When you have finished using a secure area of the Site, make sure you always click on the "Log Out" link near the top of the screen.
We retain your Personal Data for as long as your account is active or is needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
The Society does not guarantee nor warrant the security of information you transmit to us or transmit from our online products and/or services as no data transmission is guaranteed to be 100% secure. Your browser software might cache a page as you look at it, meaning that some pages are saved on your computer's temporary memory even after you log out to end a secure session. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, we can neither guarantee nor warrant the security of any information you transmit to or from the Site, and you do so at your own risk.
Linking to Other Internet Sites
You should be aware that other internet sites that link to the Site may contain privacy provisions that differ from these policies. To ensure that your privacy is protected, we recommend that you review the privacy policies of other internet sites you visit.
The Site also provides links to other websites; clicking on these links allows users to leave the Site. The purpose of the links is to provide educational resources for SCCM members and the general public. The Society does not control the linked sites or the content on those sites. SCCM does not assume any liability for the content or information contained on these linked sites. Further, SCCM does not assume any liability or warrant with respect to the quality, noninfringement, accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or reliability of such linked sites.
How You Can Access and Change Your Information
SCCM acknowledges that you have the right to access your Personal Data. The Site and our Apps allow you to access, correct, amend, or delete inaccurate data. If you request that we remove data, we will respond within a reasonable time.
Upon request, SCCM will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your Personal Data. You can update or correct your Personal Data or remove it from our system by contacting us as indicated under the "Contact" section below. Requests typically receive a response within thirty (30) business days. If access cannot be provided within that time frame, we will provide the requesting party with an estimated date by which the information will be provided. If for some reason access is denied, we will explain why.
If you are an EU Data Subject, please see the "EU Data Subjects" section below for information on your rights in relation to the Personal Data we hold about you.
California Privacy Rights
Canada's Anti-Spam Law
SCCM complies with Canada's Anti-Spam Law (CASL). Nonmembers of SCCM who have provided us with a Canadian mailing address will not receive unauthorized Commercial Electronic Messages (CEMs as defined under CASL) unless these individuals have opted in to receive CEMs.
European Union Data Subjects
This section applies if you are an individual located in the EU ("EU Data Subject"). For these purposes, reference to the EU also includes the European Economic Area countries of Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and, where applicable, Switzerland.
SCCM is the data controller for the processing of your Personal Data.
Subject to applicable law, you have the following rights in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right of access: If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, will provide you with a copy of that Personal Data (along with certain other details). If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification: If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to have it rectified or completed. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the rectification when possible. If you ask us, when possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure: You may ask us to delete or remove your Personal Data and we will do so in some circumstances, such as when we no longer need it (we may not delete your data when other interests outweigh your right to deletion). If we have shared your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure when possible. If you ask us, when possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing: You may ask us to restrict or "block" the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as when you contest the accuracy of that Personal Data or object to us processing it. We will tell you before we lift any restriction on processing. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction when possible. If you ask us, when possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability: Effective May 25, 2018, you have the right to obtain from us your Personal Data that you consented to give us or that is necessary for the performance of a contract with you. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
Right to object: You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and we will do so if we are:
- relying on a legitimate interest to process your Personal Data—unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing; or
- processing your Personal Data for direct marketing.
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling: You have the right to be free from decisions based solely on automated processing of your Personal Data, including profiling, that affect you unless such processing is necessary for entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us, or you provide your explicit consent to such processing.
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your prior consent.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority: If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we have handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorized to hear those concerns.
You may exercise your rights by contacting us as indicated under the "Contact" section below.
Society of Critical Care Medicine
500 Midway Drive
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
Effective Date: May 11, 2018
Reviewed: May 2018